Genre: Rock > Folk-Rock > Gospel Folk-Rock
Location: Oakland, Bay Area, CA
Available for: Solo & full band performances as well as empowerment workshops.
Fun Facts: Zo is also a community organizer, certified leadership coach, and faculty member at the Academy for Coaching Excellence.
Zo Tobi is a gospel folk-rock artist in Oakland, CA with an uplifting social and spiritual message.
Alongside artists like Michael Franti, Nahko, Xavier Rudd, Trevor Hall, and Rising Appalachia, Zo Tobi ushers in a new wave of conscious music calling for spiritual awakening and social action.
With a unique background as a community organizer and certified life coach, Zo Tobi delivers a soul-stirring fusion of folk, soul, and gospel that invites us to discover who we are and what we’re here to contribute.
Zo raised $20,000 from fans for his debut EP, Blessed Unrest, whose Posi Award-nominated title track is now a social action anthem sung by choirs for thousands across the USA. His producer, Bonnie Milner, ran the legendary Long View Farm Studios, which participated in 200 platinum-selling records and hosted Grammy nominees and winners like The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and Beyonce.
Zo’s recent industry-acclaimed single, “Small Sweet Step,” was produced by Jeff Bova, whose Grammy-winning work has included artists such as Herbie Hancock, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, and Eric Clapton.
Zo’s upcoming full-length album, Something Beautiful, will feature choirs across the USA on a collection of songs designed for both spiritual and secular group singing.
Ultimately, Zo’s life’s work and purpose is to “help people find their place and play their part.” He also sings in the activism-centered Thrive Choir, maintains a coaching practice in which he has coached hundreds of changemakers, and teaches coaching and leadership courses with the world-renowned Academy for Coaching Excellence.
Zo has played for audiences of a dozen to several thousand. A very partial list of past tour dates includes:
- American University – Washington, DC
- Arlington Street Church – Cambridge, MA
- Babson College – Babson Park, MA
- Bay Path College – Bay Path, MA
- Bioneers – San Rafael, CA
- Bioneers By the Bay – New Bedford, MA
- 350.org People’s Climate Rally @ Boston Opera House – Boston, MA
- Bridgewater State College – Bridgewater, MA
- Brown University – Providence, RI
- Clark University – Worcester, MA
- Colby-Sawyer College – New London, NH
- Connecticut College – New London, CT
- DemocracyFest – Bedford, NH
- Georgetown University – Washington, DC
- George Washington University – Washington, DC
- Greenpeace Activist Summit – VA
- The Launching Pad (Centers for Spiritual Living) – Berkeley, CA
- Power Shift 2007 – College Park, MD
- UU Congregation of Marin – San Rafael, CA
- Unitarian Universalist Church in Meriden – Meriden, CT
- First Unitarian Church of Worcester – Worcester, MA
- University Of Vermont – Burlington, VT
- UC Davis – Davis, CA
- Wellesley College – Wellesley, MA
- Williams College – Williamstown, MA
Zo is available for full-band and solo acoustic performances & empowerment workshops for:
- Spiritual communities
- Schools & universities
- Conferences & retreats
- House concerts
- Opening acts & split bills
“Zo’s music is exciting, and his words ask questions that need to be asked.” – Ezra Veitch, 100.1 WOOL.fm
“His lyrics are those of an activist intertwining passion with conscience.” – Charlene Johnston, Democracyfest Coordinator
“Zo brings an infectious love of his craft to the stage… His versatility and finesse are inspiring.” – James O’Brien, Club Passim
For Spiritual Communities
Zo’s music is spreading throughout socially-progressive spiritual communities everywhere. Zo is available to offer your community the following:
Songs for Your Service
Augment your spiritual service with Zo’s musical anthems of community, spirit, and action.
Zo is available to speak on themes such as compassion, contribution, cosmology, forgiveness, gratitude, hope, humility, inclusion, integrity, love, partnership, purpose, reverence, and spiritual activism.
Bring your community together for a full-length concert that nourishes the soul and evokes the call to purposeful action.
As a Certified Professional Coach, Zo is available to deliver 2-hour to 4-day workshops on themes such as: Personal empowerment, life purpose, visionary leadership, and building a culture of inclusion and collaboration.